Cockroaches: Unwanted Visitors in Your Kitchen
It is probably the most disgusting plague for most human beings.
The cockroach phobia is very common, especially when it is an insect that usually appears before or after in our home to make a visit, especially in large cities or in areas with hot and humid climates.
From a few individuals to whole pests, the appearance of cockroaches can make our lives very complicated. Here you will learn all the information you need to know about them and, especially, how to kill cockroaches.
Why is my kitchen?
Cockroaches love dirt, and this means that they are insects that look for food scraps, wet areas or trash for several days. The place in the house where we cook, leave remains or store garbage is usually a single room: the kitchen.
That’s why if we have cockroach pests at home, they are very likely to manifest in the kitchen. Places such as the sink, countertops, furniture and appliances and especially the hidden areas of these, are the ideal home for these little ones. Therefore, to avoid cockroach pests in the kitchen, we teach you how to prevent their arrival:
- The cleaning is a fundamental aspect of talking about this pest. Sometimes, our home can meet certain conditions that can be ideal for cockroaches, such as humidity or heat. Do not make it easy. Keep all places that might be more suspicious, such as the sink, sealed and clean. Start by putting a plug in the sump to prevent the rise in the pipes, or using tap plugs or anti-insect filters.
- Cockroaches love sugar, so they think that any of the foods we eat today may like them since most of them have sugars present. Avoid leaving food scraps and above all, thoroughly clean the areas where food is handled.
- Keep the trash sealed at night and take it out whenever it is full.
If a single specimen of this species walking through your kitchen makes your hair stand on end, imagine when the problem becomes a plague.
There are more than 5,000 species of cockroaches, but the most common are the German, Eastern or American cockroaches. The latter is slightly larger and adore dark and open spaces like false ceilings.
Any of these species reproduce very easily and quickly, and that is when they do it in the same place when we talk about cockroach pests.
The best thing to know about how to eliminate cockroach pests is to know their behavior, so in this article, we will tell you all about them. Of course, if what you have at home are large pests, it is best to call a specialist in cockroach pest control who will perform industrial fumigation.
If you want to kill the copies yourself, you should consider some things:
- The first thing is to find the nest. Cockroaches love warm, humid and dark places, so there is surely a crack or small compartment in some area that escapes you. For example, it is very common for cockroaches to make nests on the ceiling, so try to observe the hanging lamps, probably the hole through which the cable comes out is larger than you imagined. Another option is the door and window frames, where sometimes large populations of cockroaches are protected.
- To end the plague not only must kill adults, but also eggs and larvae. It is the best method to end the root problem. That’s why it’s so important that you find them.
- Now is the time to remove them. Attentive to the different methods to exterminate cockroaches.
How to eliminate cockroaches
Sometimes, no matter how much cleaning we keep, insects can get home. It happens when, for example, we live in a building where some common area or some other home has poor hygiene conditions.
If the plague is created near our home, it is not surprising that they make a night visit home. We are going to teach you how to eliminate cockroaches permanently :
- Of course, the first thing is to maintain the best possible cleaning conditions in your home or business premises. If we influence this, it is because it is very important to keep them away and not give them reasons to make a second visit.
- Cover and seal all possible holes and cracks in your home, especially furniture and doors and windows.
- Use a cockroach insecticide. You can find them in any supermarket. Its handling is quite simple and in fact, they are quite effective in direct application to insects, especially also for larvae and eggs, so it is ideal if you have a small cockroach pest. Just be careful with its toxicity and try to apply it when pets and children are not going to be in the area of the home where you use it.
- You can opt for bait traps since most of them contain cockroach poison. This remedy is ideal when you have located the area where they are concentrated.
- The most effective roach elimination products are boric acid and bicarbonate. You can make a trap where you mix these products with others that they like, such as coffee or sugar, since they are one of the best methods to kill cockroaches.
- There are endless gels and sprays, such as gel baits, but remember that they contain high toxicity for pets and humans. If you use them carefully, they are a good way to kill cockroaches.
- If you do not want to kill them and what you are interested in is knowing how to fight cockroaches, you can opt for electric repellents, although they are not always as effective methods. You can find them in supermarkets, drug stores, and cleaning stores as well as in hardware stores, and they are electric applicators that scare away cockroaches.
Home remedies to eliminate cockroaches
Like all pests, cockroaches also have food and homemade products that they can’t stand, either because of their smell, their texture or the toxicity they contain.
Normally, these home remedies are equally effective, although they require a little more time. If you prefer the most natural and least toxic version, sign them up:
- Cockroaches have a sense of smell quite developed, and this is worth both to attract and repel them. For example, cucumber is the food they can’t stand, so putting a few slices around the areas where you’ve seen them is an effective method. The same goes for essential oils. You can spread them on cotton and place them like cucumber slices. You will find them easily in any herbalist. Remember to change the cotton every two days to avoid losing its effectiveness.
- And the smells they love? Two of them are coffee and sugar, so you can use them to make a trap. Use a bowl of water and dissolve coffee or sugar in it. They will arrive looking for their sweet and when they fall into the water, they will die drowned.
- You can also make a homemade insecticide with soap and water to use in a sprayer, as well as an infusion of wormwood or holy grass. It may seem very simple, and although it is, it is also very effective and without waiting a long time: they will fall fulminated instantly.
- On the other hand, there are some herbs that cause discomfort: laurel, lavender or crotalaria are some of them. Plant them in your garden or place the pots on your terrace, and if you don’t have space, place some leaves or stems of these plants in the common areas where they usually are. You already have a homemade repellent.
- The most effective home poison for the elimination of cockroach pests is bicarbonate. If you mix it with sugar, you will attract them and they will leave with poison in the stomach.
- The ammonia is also a good poison, so it is ideal for use when we scoured the house. By the way, once you have finished cleaning, pour the leftover water in the pipes so that these insects can not travel there. It is probably not a very natural product, but it is something we usually find at home with ease.
- Traps with glue. They can be a bit cruel, but effective. Use a scrap of wood or cardboard to spread the glue, and attract them with sugar or coffee. They will stay stuck in the cardboard or wood and you can kill them when you find them.
- Finally, the easiest but not least effective: the vacuum cleaner. Simple, but it reaches all areas where we do not arrive. Many times cockroaches are kept hidden in small holes under furniture or cracks, so if you vacuum thoroughly through the house, surely some end up in the bag of the vacuum cleaner. Of course, remember to seal well and throw it away when you’re done, you do not want them back where they ‘re gone.